Friday 18 March 2016

The hardest part of parenting



Knowing your children are going to get hurt, be heartbroken and knowing that there is nothing you can do to stop it. All you can do is be there to hold them. Silently. 

Sometimes I feel like Joy from the movie Inside Out – I want all their memories to be golden. But  just as Joy needed to realise that Sadness played an important part I need to keep on reminding myself of the same thing. It’s a bit like the poem / blessing – not sure of the origins but it goes like this:

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright no matter how grey the day may appear
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting
I wish you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger
I wish you enough gain to satisfy  your wanting
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess
I  wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good- bye .

It’s all about balance. Yin and Yan. You cannot experience or appreciate the one side of a continuum without the other. My life is certainly richer because of the hardships I’ve endured and survived, so I shouldn’t want to deny them the same. I guess my fear is that I’llwon’t equip them with the right tools to be able to endure and survive.