Sunday 22 October 2017

Yelling

When do you yell the most? 

I've figured out with me it's usually when I am super tired or impatient because I am in a hurry, because I wanted to snooze for 5 more minutes, because I was so super tired.

If I stop to think about it I realise more often than not I am yelling about something l normally would not bat on eye about. More often than not it actually has nothing to do with the kids but everything to do with me at that moment.

There must be a better way.  Yelling certainly won't help to regain control of ourselves or the situation. 

People say stop and count to 10, or take a few deep breaths.... all very sound advice. 

However, before any of that will work I've figured out you need self awareness first.

You need to be able to catch yourself before you start yelling, in order to take that deep breath or count to 10. So if you are not self aware the yelling will always come first. And that right there is the tough part - learning how to live in the now, being aware of your feelings and triggers so you can avoid them before those buttons get pushed. 

If anyone finds an easy route to get to that space - please fill me in :-) 

Till then let's try and keep the yelling to a minimum and when it does slip out don't be to proud to apologise and own your shit.