Friday 20 May 2011

On sleeping through

It would seem one of the first questions most people ask, when they see you with your baby, is "does he sleep through?"

What a question. I would bet most moms dread this very question like they would the bubonic plague.

If you say no you feel like a failure as a parent and quite often to make it worse they may retaliate with "O my little one slept through from 6 weeks". Ja right, you probably just put earplugs in and took a sleeping pill.

And if you say yes they probably won't believe you or they will brand you a bitch for bragging about it.

So I find myself wondering whether this tendency is preprogrammed into our genes or whether it's a non parent (or I was a parent so long ago I've forgotten what it's like parent) way of trying to relate. Or is it simply a automatic small talk response like talking about the weather.

If you really are curious rather ask "how are the sleepless nights going?"
Sent via my BlackBerry from Vodacom - let your email find you!