Wednesday 18 May 2011

Election day musings

There are days I can't help but look at the world around me and wonder whether I did the right thing by having kids.

I mean really, what kind of world have I brought them into? What lies ahead for them? Threats of food and fuel resources running low, global warming, recessions, unemployment, crime, war, famine and that's only the man made disasters. Sounds pretty dark and gloomy don't you think, and we claim to love our kids.

Here's the thing though, luckily there are a few things that gives me hope, one of which - I am not alone.

Generations upon generations upon generations have been wondering exactly the same thing. The great philosophers Aristotle, Socrates, Plato all made statements about the unruly, disrespectful, misbehaved youth. My mom remembers her granny saying the youth of today have no respect, my mom has made similar comments about me and my peers and now I find myself thinking the same thing when I see or hear how some kids are acting today. And the cycle will continue with my kids saying the same thing about their kids blatant misuse of the family teleporter and curfew rules.

Another thing that brings hope. My father grew up in Holland during WW2. His parents grew up during WW1. And before them millions of other kids grew up during the Crusades, the Revolutions, heck even the downfall of the Roman Empire. Throughout all of history people were born into and lived in what seemed to them to be a crazy doomed world.

So just like all the mothers before me I will arm my kids as best I can with the tools I think they may need and hope they'll manage, like those before them, to carve their way through this crazy crazy world.

"The more things change the more they stay the same" - It's that simple.